2.17.2006

New Life

So it only makes sense that if you have your worst day on Monday...it should be followed by your best day on Friday. This whole week has been a sort of progression towards discipline and student-teacher understanding. Yesterday I was able to give all my students their 3 stars for the day. I believe they all had fun in science, and there were less than the usual amount of disturbances. The best part of my day was at the end of the morning class when my most troublesome student Alex raised his hand with something very exciting to share with me. I knelt down to listen and he told me that his dad was coming home. His face was as bright and sincere as I have seen it. It was a beautiful moment. Besides my best behaved student, Christine, trying to "dung-chi"* me it was a wonderfull day.

*The Dung-chi- a classic Korean move where the index fingers are put together like the classic sunday-school steeple position, the fingers then seek your posterior.

The most difficult task on hand is preparing for the kindergarden graduation in two Monday's. Basically the kids have to memorize all these lines, songs and dances and perform them in front of the whole school and their parents at this big celebration. Mind you these kids are 6 and under. My kids are doing farely well in my opinion but they must be perfectly prepared. So most days we go through the whole performance 3-5 times. It is very monotonous and my kids easily lose interest. But I have been instructed to cease several activities until graduation to make sure they are prepared.

On Tuesday I got a new student, Joshua. It is very difficult trying to include him as we practice for graduation. I basically let him sit and play with puzzles and do all sorts of things students are never allowed to do. You encouraged to be lenient with new students so they stay.

After graduation it seems I will get a new class with probably 10 or 11 kids. I might get my original 5 but it will be different regardless.

Yesterday a new teacher, Brandon, arrived so for the next week or two he will be my roomate until I move into another apartment. Everything is getting mixed up as new teachers come and old teachers leave. Another teacher and I will be getting singles closer to the other teachers and the new teachers will get our doubles. Im glad to be moving closer to the other teachers. And I will have a place to myself where I can do my work in solitude. Brandon is a smoker and so was Ben, it hasn't been bad, I don't mind too much. But it will be nice to not have that smell.

I will get a cell phone this weekend. There have been many complications for my friend whose wife has tried to set it up for me. But it sounds like today or tomorrow I will be able to receive calls and get in touch with people when I need to.

I just got a haircut. I was looking a bit scraggly but i think im good now. That was only my 3rd time to a real barber. Usually I take care of my own hair with my mom's help. But I guess I have a job now. I hope you are all well.

No comments: