2.24.2006

2/25

Graduation is on Monday. Finally! I was told to cease all other activities to practice our graduation performance. It was absolutely treacherous to force my kids to do absolutely nothing but repeat their lines, sing, and dance to the song. Well see how it turns out.

There are a lot of changes coming. Korean schools start their new year the first week of March. So some schools finished this week and will have a week of vacation. We have Graduation on Monday and then one day of school on Tuesday and then we get a little break. Thursday and maybe friday all the new teachers, me too, will have a sort of training period. Three new teachers have come in the past week. I think we have 2 or 3 more coming. Three of the "veteran teachers" contracts' run out this week so they are leaving. Then I found out yesterday that another quit and will be finished on Tuesday. And now another teacher is saying he's going to quit. There is a lot of frustration among the teachers about the work. I guess there's just a lot of little things that we have to do that most teachers in Korea don't have to think about.

Anyway, things are changing. Ill be getting my own apartment this Wednesday. Ill also be inheriting a computer from another teacher. So email and this should be easier.

The new teacher I've been living with the past week or so, Brandon, is a pretty cool guy. He's from Southern CA, but has been living in Tennessee since school I guess. He and I have some similar interests. He's was a history major. We've had some long talks about the big three: Politics, Economics, and Religion. He's in to Wendell Berry so there's some common ground to be shared. It was pretty exciting to hear that name in the midst of one of our earier conversations.

So my latest fun experience came last weekend outside the big convention center next to my apartment building. Competitive team jump rope! Yes, three teams of about 14 men all decked out in full uniform. I watched them each go through 2 times. They were being video taped with two announcers, cheerleaders, smoke...the whole deal. There was a small crowd. I couldn't figure out what it was all about. I was thinking maybe Church teams, maybe intermural, but I can't piece those together with the full production. It was great. Good times in Korea.

I've done a bit more reading this week. For those interested check out Kahlil Gibran Secrets of the Heart. Good stuff.

Well Im thinking I might look for a bus to jump on today, just to get around the city or state. I don't know, I just need to see some different scenery. Talk to you again soon. Happy Birthday to my sister Kate. A quarter century! Wow! Just a little public announcement for anyone who forgot, take her out partying.

No comments: