11.04.2006

And today was a good day. I decided to go downtown for some morning coffee as I started a new book. I couldn't have found a nicer chair to read in. Perhaps coffee will be a more common Saturday excursion. After a quick lunch I hung around the downtown area reading out on a wonderfully cool and breezy fall day.
Earlier, on my way to the subway I bumped into an older Korean man (Edward) I had met at the doctors this week. We talked for a bit before his stop. Then later I met another older man who started talking with me and invited me to the International meeting that is held once a week at the International Center. I was planning on stumbling in sometime this month, but needed the extra luxury of knowing the time and having someone to join. It was nice to connect with some new people, and hear a talk on Migrant Workers in Korea. Edward was there and he invited me to ride the subway back with him afterwards. We talked a bit and he invited me to his home. There he showed me his stamp and coin collection. They were quite impressive. Funny that I saw my first silver dollar today, and in Korea! But we had a good time just sitting on the floor. He talked about his passion for languages, coins, stamps and all his travels. It's good to have an elder contact in Korea. I was amazed to learn he is 69, when by appearance, as I suppose with all Koreans, he looks years younger. It must be the hiking and kimchee. So I promised to add some Egyptian coins to his collection, and we will meet again at the International Center on another Saturday.
Tomorrow I will go to Maisan, a nice looking place. Hopefully I can produce some pictures with that. But it will be a more eventful weekend than previous weekends of perpetual sickness. Hope you are all well.

No comments: