11.07.2006

I think that you have favorite kids for different parts of yourself. Like there's your cute favorite, your surprising favorite, your laughing favorite, your smiling favorite, your whimpering favorite, etc. John is my bizarre favorite. He doesn't speak as much as he makes sound effects and crazy faces followed by explosions. But John got me again the other day. Every day we have show and tell. It can get quite monotonous from having it every day and objects ranging from stuffed animals to paper clips. We once had two beetles which I allowed the kids to take out and successfully send the girls into panicked squeals (one example of a good monotony breaker)
But this day as questions came to a close I was sure I had no idea what John had brought in. As we counted down for the exposure, John ran to the door. Once again unsure of his ultimate purpose I questioned him to tell me what it was he had brought in. With great pride John opened his bag to reveal two full body dried squids. This is not an uncommon sight in Korea, but I was never anticipating such a gift in my class. Also, as a show and tell item it poses quite a problem for distribution and consumption. Luckily John had solved this trivial issue for me, prearranging plans with a Korean teacher to cut up the jerky and offer it on plates. I obliged and we feasted on quite bland and tough squid jerky. The good kind is prepared differently. These boys were just hung out to dry, no seasoning or cutting. Just thought you might like to meet a story from John.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that might just make my list of top 20 grossest things to put into your mouth. squid jerky? wow.