6.20.2006



Went to a conference this weekend hosted by Mikail Gorbachev and Kim Dae Jung. A bunch of Nobel Peace Laureates came out to Gwangju to the conference center I used to live right beside. They talked about the nuclear problem on the peninsula and how to move towards reunification. It was refreshing to be in the mist of conversations of the sort. It also happened that I made my first appearance on Korean TV through that event. I knew they were filming but I wasn't sure I had made the cut until a bunch of my kids said they saw me on the news Monday. They had some fun emulating the stare I apparently held. I regret to report that I failed to take my camera with me so I didn't get any pictures during the conference.

An impressive show by the Korean National team against France on Sunday. It was 4 am here, when everyone woke up for the party...if they went to sleep. I decided to wake up 5 to see the last half and was glad to catch the tieing goal. We are in position. We just need to beat Switzerland. Ill probably be headed to the Gwangju World Cup Stadium on Saturday morning to see the game, another 4 am game. I've heard its been packed the last two games.

I have included here a picture of my bike to bring you closer to my Korean experience. (We share a lot of time together) I've told some of you Im searching for a name...(you should always name your bike) So I'm open to receiving any recommendations. Also here is a picture of a routinely visited site. Soccer courts, where I work on my skills for my World Cup debut. It has been my source of exercise and meditation in a country a little too cramped for free/thoughtless runs. And I think I can say I have improved enough to now compete with the 3 year olds who used to school me in Cairo.

I'm enjoying the world cup, Im about to get into the busy week or two of school, followed by Parent conferences in another week. So some new experiences there, but it should be fun. Peace.

No comments: