8.13.2006

Tap

One of the things I loved about the temple was the food and method of eating very mindfully. It made it even more simple and enjoyable to eat food. So the past week I have been cooking a lot trying to incorperate some of the methods of cooking they used at the temple. But my ventures culminated in an effort friday night that you can see above. Inside is brown rice, onions, tomatoes, red yellow and orange pepers, leaf lettuce, and cheese. Perhaps not the culinary masterpiece of a revered chef, but I was very happy with the flavors in my mouth. Cheese is something so rare in Gwangju. My friends went on a two hour train ride to track down some good colby jack for me, for which I am eternally grateful.

The Buddhist practice is to eat in silence. I've found it to be a very insightful practice. When you eat only eat. When you finish you wash your dishes, and then only wash your dishes. So my eating habits have been changing and my kitchen has maintained a cleanliness it rarely saw before. I wish to share this joy with you all, thus the picture below. With this practice I not only maintain cleanliness, but also find myself eating breakfast again, after about a three year period of abstention. And with a more regularly spanned eating schedule, along with full delicious meals, I find myself eating slim to none between meals. Needless to say I'm a fan. Im keeping a more regular schedule and finding it much easier to be when I need to.

No comments: