3.24.2006

3/24

Sorry again. It can be a challenge to make myself sit down to write cohesive thoughts. I suppose much time has passed since my last post. Well what's to report? Day to day life. Kids are crazy. I have this one 7 yr old, Andy. He is my funniest kid. He always wears this striped blazer with other oddly colored pants. He's a bigger kid, not fat, but as one teacher remarked, he has a sort of "old man stomach" that is just always out in front of the rest of his body. He's got one of those personalities that is always aloof. Like today he was my special helper, and he would hand each workbook out to his friends with an outstretched arm as he looked off in the other direction, as though he was striking a pose. But that's just Andy. I can't help but lose it in the middle of teaching sometimes.

Last weekend I went to a dance club with some friends and saw some of the best dancers I have ever seen. We were there for about and hour when about 5 Korean guys took the floor and had a classic dance off. They had some moves, and I can say that one rose above the others. For those of you into dancing, I wish you could have seen it. Its hard to understand where they learned to dance so well. Maybe theres a subculture Im not aware of here. Quite possible.

So tonight all the staff was taken out to eat by the director and we had sangupso- or grilled pork...they bring it out and cook it on your table and you wrap it in leaves with different sauces. It was very good. I've had it a few times before. But this was the full out Korean experience. Most bosses take out their staff and they eat sangupso and get drunk. No Im not smashed, I could be. I had a few drinks. It was interesting to see the dynamics of many drunk co-workers. It was a good time. After we went to a nori bong- karayoke room. I had fun. It was a fun cultural experience. Tomorrow I'm going to a Korean class we're having at the school. Hopefully I'll learn how to ask how to say things in Korean. I definetely think I could take much better advantage of many situations in learning Korean if I mastered that. I think I might go on a run tomorrow afternoon. Its time to test the knee and enjoy the warm weather. Its starting to turn green.

I had a girl throw up today. That was an event. We were about ready to have our snack... luckily she didn't make it to the table. It's awful because parents will always send their kids sick to school. I've had one girl who's basically been sick all week. Its likely she got Jenny sick. At first I though she just had a really bad sneeze, but she was crying and I realized it was wet all along the wall. So i have officially been initiated in the area of bodily fluids. Some of the 4 yr olds from other classes often need help with their pants also... so many days Im an official pants puller up-er. Its a funny business, working with kids. I suppose it keeps you down to earth. No wetting of the pants yet, but we've come as close as tears. Thats all for now. Peace.

1 comment:

andrea lee said...

ya luke,

my little girl tereza wet her pants last week as i was helping her get dressed for school. i actually really enjoyed cleaning her up because i felt like i was actually doing something constructive. hmm.

the best dancers ive ever seen were this six year old egyptian boys in the street at a wedding in matarayia, al qahira.

rabina maak, ya luke.

andrea